Charles Berkey (standing, back row, far right) and members of the Boosters' Club, Detroit, Mich., in the late 1800s. Many from this group became members of the first Exchange Club.
Charles A. Berkey is credited with the founding of this great organization. At his suggestion, the name "Exchange" was selected because the group wanted to exchange ideas and information with like-minded individuals about how to better serve their communities.
The first local Exchange Club was formed in Detroit, Michigan in 1911. The second was the Exchange Club of Toledo, Ohio formed in 1913. Subsequently, two others were organized in Grand Rapids, Michigan and Cleveland, Ohio. These four clubs were the first to be chartered by the National Exchange Club after it was organized as a nonprofit, educational organization in 1917. Since then, hundreds of clubs have been chartered in the United States and Puerto Rico, with nearly 28,000 members making a positive difference in their own communities everyday.
We are America's Service Club. From our organization's earliest days, Exchange Clubs have been unselfishly serving their communities and improving the quality of life. The diverse array of Exchange-sponsored programs and projects has made a considerable impact on America, enhancing the lives of countless men, women and children across the nation.
Click here to visit the National Exchange Club's website.
Click here to read Exchange Today published by the National Exchange Club.
©2013 the exchange club of east dallas. All Rights Reserved.